One of my readers, renaissanceguy, made a couple of comments yesterday. In one of them, he made an excellent point. He said,
This blog is amazing, and I applaud you for exposing lies and presenting truth. While I agree with you, I want to urge caution.
You don’t want to give people the impression that no relief is possible. I think that with your heavy emphasis on there not being a cure, at least not yet, you might make people think that they are doomed to find no relief at all.
He’s right. I don’t want to make people think we’re “doomed.” We’re not. In writing this blog, I often write about people claiming they have a “cure” for Migraines. Some of the reasons I write these “cure-busting” posts are:
- Some of these people are making big bucks from selling us information that we can find other places online, FREE.
- Some of them are making money from selling us products, “medical” services, or theories that have not been proven. Some of these even claim to be the “cure” for multiple diseases.
- We all need to know the truth, that Migraine is a disease that can’t be cured yet. There ARE good treatments that can help us live better, easier lives, but we need to know the truth and be realistic.
Let me say this for the record. We are not doomed to live hopeless lives because of Migraines. There are excellent treatments that can both stop Migraines once they start and prevent Migraines. Migraine preventive medications can help make our Migraines less severe, shorter, and less often. The disease cannot be cured, but it can be managed.
Taking renaissanceguy’s comment to heart, I’m going to start doing a different type of post on a regular basis, one that highlights some of the truths I’ve come across recently. After all, we do need to see the positive too, don’t we?
Here are some truths I’ve seen recently:
- From Somebody Heal Me: Percy Harvin’s Situation Exposes Burden of Chronic Migraines
- From Against the ‘Graine: Setting Goals
- From Headache and Migraine News Blog: 1% Thursday, Think 3D
- From the Alliance for Headache Disorders Advocacy: Migraine and Stigma
- From Migraine Blues: Women with Migraine = Drama Queen
- From Migraine Is a Disease: Migraine Triggers, Treatment, Management: Superb Video
There have been a couple of blog entries recently that were about the difficulty of living with Migraines, how they can drive people to the point of suicide, and how to deal with these feelings. This is a tough, but important, topic, so I want to give you links to those too:
- From Migraine & Other Headache Disorders: Migraines and Suicide.
- From Putting Our Heads Together: Migraines, Suffering, Suicide, and Hope.
In closing, I want to thank renaissanceguy again and all the bloggers out there who are sharing the truth.
Have a good weekend!