I’ve never paid a lot of attention to Bella Online, but some of their articles about Migraines and headaches have been showing up on Google, so I took a look today. It grieves me to say that I was very disappointed. Yes, it truly does grieve me. We so desperately need two things:
- More sites about Migraine disease and headaches.
- For the sites that exist to be accurate AND well written.
It’s the second point, of course, that makes Bella’s Headaches / Migraines Site so very disappointing. Let’s take a look…
Is the site accurate? No:
- On the page where editor Healther L. Robertson lists headache types, she lists Eye Strain Headaches and Sugar Headaches. Under types of Migraines, she lists Eye Migraines, Menstrual Migraine Headaches, and Nocturnal Migraines. Yeah, right. I guess Ms. Robertson hasn’t heard of the International Headache Society’s International Classification of Headache Disorders. The second edition of that document (ICHD-II) is the gold standard for classifying headache disorders, and she’s talking about diagnoses that don’t exist there. My impression? Amateur hour.
- She discusses “Basilar Migraines, also known as Bickerstaff Syndrome.” She’s a couple of iterations behind on the name of this form of Migraine. For many years, it was called Basilar Artery Migraine, and it’s been called Basilar Type Migraine for many years now.
- She lists “Cheese, wine and some common food additives like nitrates found in processed meats” as potential triggers for Basilar Type Migraines. What about all the other potential triggers? All in all, her research on this article seems to have been very limited and perhaps flawed. Or did she research it at all?
- Ms Robertson calls her list of potential Migraine triggers overwheliming when it’s not even very thorough.
Is the site well written? No:
- The first sentence of Robertson’s Headache Basics article begins, “Allot of people suffer from headaches…” UGH. It should have read, “A lot of people suffer from headaches…” I could go on with the weaknesses in her writing, but it really isn’t worth the time.
Will I be returning to Bella? No. Not I. After looking at their Headaches / Migraines site, I won’t even bother to look at any of the others.
Disappointing. Very disappointing.